Employee Spotlight: Zhiyi Zhang
July 1, 2015
1. What is your name and job title?
Zhiyi Zhang, Residential Manager of any school in Florida that faces Gulf of Mexico.
2. Where have you traveled to outside of the United States?
Born and raised in Shanghai, China. Studied abroad in Spain, Italy and Argentina.
3. What other languages do you speak?
Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish and Italian.
4. Please describe a time when you experienced culture shock in a funny way.
I enrolled in a women’s college in Boston area at the age of 18. I learned during international student orientation that I wasn’t supposed to hold hands with girls I just became friends with.
5. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, when and where would it be?
60’s and 70’s. I like the fashion and style in those times.
6. If you could physically transport yourself to any place in the world at this moment, where would you go?
Tierra de fuego, Argentina. The end of the world, if you have seen Wong Kar-Wai’s 1997 movie “Happy Together”.
7. If you could be instantly fluent in one language that you currently do not speak, which would it be?
French. Catherine Deneuve is my first idol, and it’s unbelievable I’m not fluent in her native language, yet.
8. Why do you like working in international education?
Been there, done that. I can relate to almost anything, and I want to help students to succeed.
9. What do you think is the biggest benefit of studying abroad?
When you speak a foreign language well enough to report anything of your host family to the residential coordinator (or equivalent), you are there.
10. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life which book would it be?
Don Quixote. Must read in Spanish. It will reveal something new every time I come back to read it.
We are consolidating our brands under our company name, but you’ll see the exact same high level of service and support.