Employee Spotlight: Paul Notar
April 21, 2014
1. What is your name and title?
Paul Notar, Associate Director of gphomestay
2. Where have you traveled to outside of the United States?
Morocco, Syria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, England, France, Norway, China,
3. If you had to live the rest of your life in a place that you have never lived before, where would you live?
4. What other languages do you speak?
5. Please describe a time when you experience culture shock in a funny way.
I got evacuated from Yemen after an international incident.
6. What’s something about American culture that you have found others outside of America find weird?
The obsession with technology
7. If you were a superhero, what would your super power be?
The ability to fly so I can avoid airfare
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, when and where would it be?
Lawrence of Arabia’s defeat of the Ottoman Army during WWI
9. What is your family heritage?
10. What was your favorite food that you tried in another country?
All you can eat sushi in Jerusalem
11. If you could physically transport yourself to any place in the world at this moment, where would you go?
Probably the Caribbean
12. If you could be instantly fluent in one language that you currently do not speak, which would it be?
13. If you could easily visit one known planet, which one would you go to?
14. If you could eat one food in any quantity for the rest of your life with no ill affects whatsoever, what food would you choose?
15. If you had to spend all of your vacations for the rest of your life in the same place, where would you go?
Ocean City, NJ
16. Why do you like working in international education?
I get to provide opportunities for people to learn about other cultures
17. What do you think is the greatest benefit of hosting a student?
Giving your kids insight into another way of life.
18. What do you think is the benefit of studying abroad?
Challenge biases and preconceptions
19. If you could rule any country with any celebrity which country and what celebrity would you choose?
I would rule China with Confucius
20. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life which book would it be?
Globalized Islam by Olivier Roy
We are consolidating our brands under our company name, but you’ll see the exact same high level of service and support.